National Comprehensive Cancer Network
NCCN Flash Update: NCCN Guidelines Updated
NCCN has published updates to the NCCN Guidelines for Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma (MPM). These NCCN Guidelines are currently available as Version 1.2011.
- In the pretreatment evaluation of MPM, a footnote was added that a PET-CT should be performed prior to any pleurodesis.
- For patients with clinical stage I, medically inoperable MPM, chemotherapy was added as a treatment option.
- For patients with clinical stage II-III, medically operable MPM, sequential RT followed by chemotherapy was added as an option for adjuvant treatment after surgery.
NCCN has published updates to the NCCN Guidelines for Thymomas and Thymic Carcinomas. These NCCN Guidelines are currently available as Version 1.2011.
- For patients with an R2 resection, the postoperative management was clarified for thymoma and thymic carcinoma. Combined chemotherapy/RT is the treatment recommendation for thymic carcinoma, and RT with optional chemotherapy is the treatment recommendation for thymoma.
- The following bullet was added to the Principles of Surgical Resection: "Surgical resection should be performed on carefully evaluated patients by board-certified thoracic surgeons. Some cases should be discussed and evaluated by multidisciplinary conferences."
- The World Health Organization Histologic Classification system for Thymic Tumors was added.
For the complete updated version of these and all NCCN Guidelines, visit NCCN.org.