NCCN Flash Updates™ sent January 17, 2013
NCCN has published updates to the NCCN Chemotherapy Order Templates (NCCN Templates®) for the following disease sites:
NCCN has published updates to the NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology (NCCN Guidelines®) for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. These NCCN Guidelines® are currently available as Version 2.2013.
*For your reference, the announcement of the previous update (Version 1.2013) to the NCCN Guidelines for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer, distributed on December 5, 2012, is included below:
NCCN has published updates to the NCCN Guidelines® for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. These NCCN Guidelines are currently available as Version 1.2013.
- A new section was added addressing the diagnostic evaluation of lung nodules suspicious for cancer.
- A new section was added addressing the management of multiple lung cancers.
- Metastatic disease: workup and evaluation of histologic subtype
- The clarification "with adequate tissue for molecular testing" was added to "Establish histologic subtype"
- "Smoking cessation counseling" was added.
- For squamous cell carcinoma: the clarification "except in never smokers and small biopsy specimens" was added to "EGFR mutation and ALK testing are not routinely recommended"
- Metastatic disease: adenocarcinoma, large cell, or NSCLC not otherwise specified (NOS) that is negative for EGFR mutations or ALK gene fusions
- "If ROS1 mutation status is known and positive, may treat with crizotinib" was added as a footnote to ALK testing.
- Continuation maintenance therapy
- Pemetrexed changed to a "category 1" recommendation from a "category 2A" recommendation.
- Bevacizumab + pemetrexed added with category 2A recommendation and the following footnote "kk": "If bevacizumab was used with a first-line pemetrexed/platinum chemotherapy regimen."
- Metastatic disease: adenocarcinoma, large cell, or NSCLC NOS that is positive for EGFR mutations or ALK gene fusions
- EGFR mutation discovered during first-line chemotherapy: "May add erlotinib to current chemotherapy" changed to a "category 2A" recommendation from a "category 2B" recommendation.
- Therapy added for progression on erlotinib
- Chemotherapy Regimens Used With Radiation Therapy
- Two new concurrent chemotherapy/RT regimens were added:
- "Carboplatin AUC 5 on day 1, pemetrexed 500 mg/m2 on day 1 every 21 days for 4 cycles; concurrent thoracic RT (nonsquamous)"
- "Cisplatin 75 mg/m2 on day 1, pemetrexed 500 mg/m2 on day 1 every 21 days for 3 cycles; concurrent thoracic RT (nonsquamous)"
- Principles of Pathologic Review, Principles of Radiation Therapy, and Principles of Surgical Therapy were updated.
- Chemotherapy Regimens for Neoadjuvant and Adjuvant Chemotherapy
- For the cisplatin/gemcitabine and cisplatin/docetaxel regimens, clarified number of cycles as "4 cycles."
- Systemic Therapy for Advanced or Metastatic Disease
- A new treatment option was added: "albumin-bound paclitaxel in combination with carboplatin with a category 2A recommendation."
For the complete updated versions of the NCCN Guidelines® and the NCCN Compendium®, please visit NCCN.org.
To view the NCCN Guidelines for Patients®, please visit NCCN.com.
To access free NCCN Guidelines mobile apps for iPhone and Android, visit NCCN.org/mobile.
Now Available! The Virtual Library of NCCN Guidelines are now formatted for iPad and Android. Visit NCCN.org/mobile/tablet.asp.