NCCN Meeting More Educational Needs in the Oncology Community with New Learning Management System
Kristin Kline Hasson, Senior Manager, Media Programs
In 2012, the National Comprehensive Cancer Network® (NCCN®) will move into an exciting new age with regard to its educational activities. In the past, NCCN developed enduring materials for many activities and relied on outside vendors to host the content. However, in 2012, NCCN will invest in its own learning management system (LMS). NCCN has chosen to use the EthosCE Content Learning Management System for its live and enduring educational activities. This will increase reach, converting more of the 1.5 million unique annual visitors to NCCN.org into learners.
The system is an enterprise-level web platform specifically designed to streamline and enhance the administration of continuing education (CE) activities. The platform integrates two industry-leading, open source web platforms: Drupal™ Content Management System and Moodle™ Learning Management System. The system will enable NCCN to produce and manage a robust CE web presence that offers real-time course registration, assessments, and certificate generation for live and enduring CE activities; integration with third-party applications; browser-based content publishing and web 2.0 features; standards-based data exchanges via web services; and a robust reporting engine for educational outcomes measurement.
The system will exist behind NCCN’s already branded website and will integrate with the current content on NCCN.org. The platform will be completely administered by NCCN through the web to manage content, registration data, course delivery, assessments, certificates, and reports. Features include:
- Centralized curriculum, assessment, and evaluation administration
- Course information, pre-test, course materials, post-test, evaluation, application for credit, certificate, and follow-up evaluation
- Grouping of courses by any category or topic
- Support for multimedia course files including Flash, video, HTML, MP3, and PDF
- Automated CE assessment scoring with feedback and certificate generation
- Personal online CE transcripts available for learners to review, print, or download
- Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education Program and Activity Reporting System (ACCME PARS) reports
- 24/7 reports on program participation, test results, evaluation data, and certificates issued
- Data export to other outcomes measurement platforms and databases
- Integration of courses with discussion forums and calendars
Implementation of NCCN’s LMS in the first quarter of 2012 will allow the organization to better serve its learner community with programs designed to meet the educational needs of oncologists, nurses, pharmacists, and other health care professionals who manage patients with cancer. NCCN is accredited by the ACCME, the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation, and the Accreditation Council of Pharmacy Education.