Adult Oncology Services
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center, West Cancer Center is a multidisciplinary, fully-integrated, cancer center providing the highest quality care regimens, innovative and advanced treatments, and access to a robust research program with approximately 40 Phase I and late stage clinical trials conducted through the largest adult cancer research network in our region. Our interdisciplinary team of experts is committed to delivering seamless care from screening and diagnosis, through treatment, palliative care, and survivorship.
- West Cancer Center was formed in 2012, through an innovative partnership with The West Clinic, The University of Tennessee Health Science Center, and Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare. The shared vision and commitment of these three organizations is to provide patients in the region and beyond with the very best cancer care and take cancer treatment and the advancement of cancer research to the next level. Through our translational research program, basic scientific investigators work in tandem with clinical oncology researchers to bring new discoveries from the laboratory to clinical trials. As positive outcomes are achieved, patients benefit from the next generation of new treatments or therapies.
- For over 35 years, West Cancer Center has been on the frontline of cancer research and discovery. It’s internationally recognized research program, under the direction of Lee S. Schwartzberg, MD, FACP, Medical Director, has consistently been one of the first centers nationally to gain experience with and hasten the delivery of many major drug advances in adult cancer. Through its robust clinical trials program, patients obtain access to the most advanced drugs before they become standard of care.
- Our commitment to train the next generation of medical and gynecologic oncologists is evidenced through our unique partnership and collaboration with The University of Tennessee Health Science Center in the transition of its Medical Oncology Fellowship program to West Cancer Center. Plans to expand and include additional Fellowships to Radiation and Surgical Oncology are in development.
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center, West Cancer Center is a member of the Southwest Oncology Group (SWOG) and ACORN Research, LLC network. These memberships allow our physicians to participate in and develop research studies for all types of cancers.
- Bladder Cancer
- Blood Disorders
- Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplantation
- Breast Cancer
- Central Nervous System Cancers
- Cervical Cancer
- Colorectal Cancer
- Endometrial Cancers
- Gynecologic Cancers
- Head and Neck Cancers
- Lung Cancer
- Multiple Myeloma
- Ovarian Cancers
- Prostate Cancer
- Sickle Cell Disease
- Coagulation Disorders
- Cancer Genetics
Additionally, UTHSC/WCC surgeons and physicians meet regularly to enhance multidisciplinary care for patients. These conferences underscore our highly integrated approach to patient care.
- Multidisciplinary Breast Cancer Conference
- Multidisciplinary Head and Neck Conference
- Multidisciplinary Lung Cancer Conference
- Multidisciplinary Genitourinary Cancer Conference
- Multidisciplinary Gastrointestinal Conference
- Multidisciplinary Malignant Hematology Conference
- Multidisciplinary Sarcoma Conference
- Multidisciplinary Cutaneous Cancer Conference
- Multidisciplinary Gynecological Cancer Conference
Information & Referrals
UTHSC/WWC has 11 clinics throughout the Mid-South region where outpatient services are provided. Patients may contact any of the clinics to schedule an appointment.
- East Memphis – 901.683.0055
- Midtown Memphis– 901.683.0055
- Brighton, TN – 901.683.0055
- Collierville, TN – 901.683.0055
- Comprehensive Breast Center – 901.692.9600
- Jackson, TN – 731.668.1668
- Paris, TN – 731.644-3522
- Southaven, MS – 901.683.0055
- Corinth, MS – 662.286.3964
- Jonesboro, AR – 870. 336.1512 Gynecologic Oncology: Only
- West Memphis, AR – 901.683.0055
- The Hope Lodge
718 Union Avenue
- Holiday Inn Express
1180 Union Ave.
- The Peabody
149 Union Ave.
- Four Points by Sheraton Memphis East
5877 Poplar Ave.
- Hyatt Place Primacy Parkway
1220 Primacy Pkwy.
Clinical & Research Information
Erich A. Mounce, BS, MSHA
Chief Medical Officer
Lee S. Schwartzberg, MD, FACP
Chief, Division of Hematology & Oncology
Lee S. Schwartzberg, MD, FACP
Cooperative Group Membership
Southwest Oncology Group (SWOG)
Cooperative Group Activities
Participation in multiple SWOG committees
|Community Research Group Membership
ACORN Research network
Average Number of Oncology Clinical Trials
Adult Clinical Trial Coordinator
Blood and Marrow Transplant Center
The Blood and Marrow Transplant Center offers patients state-of-the-art facilities for cell therapies in the treatment of cancer and blood or bone marrow disorders in adults.
Patient care and education is provided by a multi-disciplinary team that includes not only specially trained physicians but also dedicated transplant coordinators, a financial counselor, nurse practitioners, social workers, dieticians, an apheresis nurse, and clinical pharmacists. Spiritual support and a translation service are also available.
Acute outpatient care is provided in a dedicated unit at Methodist University Hospital. The program currently emphasizes outpatient care whenever possible. For those who live out of town, guest rooms are available at The Hope Lodge for no charge.
Inpatient care is provided in the Oncology Special Care Unit, a specially-designed unit in the cancer center at Methodist University Hospital, with staff trained to care for the transplant patients.
Head and Neck Multidisciplinary Clinic
The Head and Neck Multidisciplinary Clinic provides comprehensive evaluations for patients with cancers of the head and neck. A team of surgeons, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, nurses, speech therapists, and other professionals are present for the patients' appointments. UTHSC/TWC utilizes a multidisciplinary team approach to determine and execute the best treatment options for head and neck cancer patients.
Comprehensive Breast Cancer
The Comprehensive Breast Center has a premier breast team comprised of medical, surgical and radiation oncology experts who prospectively and proactively meet and collaborate to determine the full spectrum of treatment for newly diagnosed patients. A strong research focus assures that patients will have access to the latest promising therapies. As a fully integrated center services provided include state-of-the-art diagnostics, ultrasound-guided biopsies that can generally be performed the same day, breast surgery, genetic counseling, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and clinical trials. The Care Support Team ensures rapid access to specialists such as plastic surgeons to minimize wait time and anxiety.
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center, West Cancer Center’s radiation oncology program provides precision delivery of treatment with state-of-the-art technologies. Under the direction of
Matthew T. Ballo, MD, Chairman of the Department of Radiation Oncology at UT Health Science Center and Director of Radiation Oncology, the team of 6 Board Certified highly-trained radiation oncologists provides patients with the most cutting-edge treatments. The Center offers Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
and intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT). High dose brachytherapy and low-dose brachytherapy are also provided as well as Volumetric Modulated therapy (ARC) and Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation. The team includes a full complement of staff including radiation therapists, physicists and dosimetrists.