NCCN Guidelines for Patients
Colon Cancer, Version 1.2014
Overview of cancer treatments Review
• A colectomy is an operation that removes
the part of the colon with cancer. A
lymphadenectomy is the removal of lymph
nodes and a metastasectomy is the removal
• Ablation and radiation therapy are sometimes
used to treat colon cancer.
• Chemotherapy is a class of drugs that stops
cells from completing their growth cycle.
• Targeted therapy stops the action of
molecules that aid the growth of cancer cells.
• Clinical trials give people access to new tests