NCCN Guidelines for Patients
Colon Cancer, Version 1.2014
Making treatment decisions
Questions to ask your doctors
What are my
There is no single treatment practice that is best for all patients. There is often more than one treatment
option along with clinical trial options. Your doctor will review your test results and recommend treatment
1. What will happen if I do nothing?
2. Can I just carefully monitor the cancer?
3. Should I consider a clinical trial?
4. Do you consult NCCN recommendations when considering options?
5. Are you suggesting options other than what NCCN recommends? If yes, why?
6. How do my age, health, and other factors affect my options?
7. Which option is proven to work best?
8. Which options lack scientific proof?
9. What are the benefits of each option? Does any option offer a cure? Are my chances any better for
one option than another? Which option spares the most healthy tissue? Is any option less invasive?
Less time-consuming? Less expensive?
10. What are the risks of each option? What are possible complications? What are the rare and common
side effects? Short-lived and long-lasting side effects? Serious or mild side effects? Other risks?