NCCN Guidelines for Patients™: Colon Cancer
9.1 Questions to ask about testing for colon cancer
• What tests will I have?
• Where will the tests take place? Will I have to go to the hospital?
• How long will it take? Will I be awake?
• Will it hurt? Will I need local anesthesia?
• What are the risks? What are the chances of infection or bleeding afterward?
• How do I prepare for it? Will I need to avoid taking aspirin to reduce the chance of bleeding?
Should I not eat beforehand?
• Should I bring a list of my medications?
• Should I bring someone with me?
• How long will it take for me to recover? Will I be given an antibiotic or other medicine afterward?
• How soon will I know the results and who will explain them to me? If a biopsy is done,
will I get a copy of the pathology report?
• If I do have cancer, who will talk with me about the next steps? When?