NCCN Guidelines for Patients™: Colon Cancer
9.4 Suggestions for taking care of yourself
• Let other people help you. This is the time to take advantage of offers for rides,
meals, childcare, or just good company.
• Be as healthy as you can—eat well, get enough rest, exercise, and stop smoking.
• Talk with your family and friends about your concerns and needs. Let them know
what is important to you, including your feelings about end-of-life decisions.
• Do the things that help you cope—keep a journal, garden, play music, or take
that trip you’ve been wanting to take.
• Don’t be afraid to take medications that can help your emotional and physical
symptoms. Let your cancer care team help you.
• Talk with your treatment team about what you are experiencing. Don’t wait until
you are feeling overwhelmed.
• Know the resources that are available to you and use them.
• Be your own advocate—ask questions, take notes, and be active in
Part 9: Tools