NCCN Guidelines for Patients
Melanoma, Version 1.2014
Tests for melanoma
Websites | Review
American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Melanoma Research Foundation
Melanoma International Foundation
• Cancer tests are needed if your skin shows
signs of cancer.
• Cancer tests are used to plan treatment.
• Your health history and body exam inform your
doctor about your health.
• Testing tissue removed from your body is the
only way to know if you have melanoma.
• Tests of lymph nodes can show if cancer has
• Blood tests monitor melanoma that has spread
far to other parts of the body.
• Tests that take pictures of the inside of your
body may show if the cancer has spread.