NCCN Guidelines for Patients
Melanoma, Version 1.2014
Overview melanoma treatments Questions to ask your doctor
to ask your doctor
1. What stage of melanoma do I have?
2. What are the available treatments for this stage of melanoma?
3. Will I have more than one treatment?
4. What are the risks and benefits of each treatment for melanoma?
5. Will my age, general health, stage of melanoma, and other health conditions limit my treatment
6. Do I have to get treated?
7. Where will I be treated? Will I have to stay in the hospital or can I go home after each treatment?
8. What can I do to prepare for treatment? Should I stop taking my medications?
9. How soon should I start treatment? How long does treatment take?
10. How much will the treatment cost? How can I find out how much my insurance company will cover?
11. How likely is it that I’ll be cancer-free after treatment?
12. What symptoms should I look out for while being treated for melanoma?
13. When will I be able to return to my normal activities?
14. What is the chance that the melanoma will come back or spread?
15. What should I do after I finish treatment?
16. Are there supportive services that I can get involved in? Support groups?