NCCN Guidelines for Patients
Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma, Version 1.2014
Websites | Review
American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation
• Mesothelium is a single layer of cells that
makes fluid and that lines most organs inside
• The pleural mesothelium is part of the tissue
lining around the lungs.
• Malignant pleural mesothelioma is cancer that
starts in the pleural mesothelium.
• Mesothelioma cells form a tumor since they
don’t die as they should.
• Mesothelioma cells can spread to other body
parts through lymph or blood.