NCCN Guidelines for Patients
Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma, Version 1.2014
Testing for mesothelioma Webpages | Review
American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation
• Pleural effusion is the buildup of extra fluid
between the two layers of tissue lining the
• Pleural thickening is widespread scarring of
the tissue around the lungs.
• Get tested for mesothelioma if you have had
pleural effusion, pleural thickening, or both.
• Samples of pleural fluid and tissue must be
removed from your body and tested to confirm
if you have mesothelioma.
• Imaging tests can show where tumors are