NCCN Guidelines for Patients
Multiple Myeloma, Version 1.2014
About multiple myeloma
Websites | Review
American Cancer Society
Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation
National Cancer Institute
• Myeloma is a cancer of plasma cells.
• Plasma cells make antibodies that help to fight
infections and play an important role in bone
• Myeloma cells make too many copies of
• Myeloma cells make abnormal antibodies called
M-proteins that don’t help to fight germs.
• One mass of myeloma cells is called a solitary
• When myeloma cells have spread throughout the
bone marrow, it is called multiple myeloma.
• Smoldering myeloma doesn’t cause symptoms.
• Active myeloma causes symptoms by taking over
bone marrow and destroying bone.