NCCN Guidelines for Patients
Multiple Myeloma, Version 1.2014
Treatments for myeloma
Questions to ask your doctor
to ask your doctor
1. What are my treatment options?
2. Is there a clinical trial I can take part in?
3. Will I have more than one treatment?
4. What are the risks and benefits of each treatment for multiple myeloma?
5. Will my age, general health, extent of multiple myeloma, and other medical conditions limit my
6. Do I have to get treated?
7. Where will I be treated? Will I have to stay in the hospital or can I go home after each treatment?
8. What can I do to prepare for treatment? Should I stop taking my medications?
9. How soon should I start treatment? How long does treatment take?
10. How much will the treatment cost? How can I find out how much my insurance company will cover?
11. How likely is it that I’ll be cancer-free after treatment?
12. What symptoms should I look out for while being treated for multiple myeloma?
13. When will I be able to return to my normal activities?
14. What is the chance that the myeloma will come back and/or spread?
15. What should I do after I finish treatment?
16. Are there supportive services that I can get involved in? Support groups?