NCCN Guidelines for Patients
Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, Version 1.2017
Making treatment decisions
Questions to ask
What are my options?
There is no single treatment practice that is best for all patients. There is often more than one
treatment option along with clinical trial options. Your doctor will review your test results and
recommend treatment options.
1. What will happen if I do nothing?
2. Can I just carefully monitor the cancer?
3. Do you use NCCN recommendations when considering options?
4. Do you suggest options other than what NCCN recommends? If yes, why?
5. Do your options include clinical trials? Please explain why. What kinds of treatments
would the clinical trial involve? Is it for people my age?
6. How do my age, health, and other factors affect my options?
7. Which option is proven to work best?
8. What are the benefits and risks of each option?
9. What can be done to prevent or relieve the side effects of treatment?
10. Are there supportive services that I can get involved in? Support groups?