NCCN Guidelines for Patients
Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, Version 1.2017
Making treatment decisions
Questions to ask
What is your experience?
More and more research is finding that patients treated by more experienced doctors have better
results. It is important to learn if a doctor is an expert in the cancer treatment he or she is offering.
1. Are you board certified? If yes, in what area?
2. How much experience do you have in treating ALL?
3. How many patients like me have you treated? How many of them were my age?
4. How many treatments or procedures like the one you’re suggesting have you done?
5. Is this treatment a major part of your practice?
6. How many of your patients have had complications?
7. Are you involved in any clinical trials for the treatment of ALL? For people my age?
8. Does your hospital have a program specifically for people my age with cancer?