NCCN Guidelines for Patients
Adolescents and Young Adults with Cancer, Version 1.2017
Coping with side effects
• Most side effects happen because healthy cells
get damaged in the battle to rid your body of
• Newer drugs and improved technology are
making it easier to target cancer cells with less
harm to healthy tissues.
• Keep yourself well-fed. Your treatment team
should include a nutritionist or dietitian.
• Getting enough fluids (staying hydrated) is even
more important during cancer treatment.
• Staying active is one of the best ways to keep up
• Your team will want to watch for side affects you
have, how severe they are, and how they affect
your overall health and well-being.