NCCN Guidelines for Patients
Hodgkin Lymphoma, Version 1.2015
Overview of cancer treatments Review
• Chemotherapy stops the life cycle of cancer
cells so they can’t increase in number. It is
often used for Hodgkin lymphoma.
• Some steroids have anti-cancer effects and
may be used with chemotherapy.
• Radiation damages DNA which either kills
cancer cells or stops new cancer cells
from being made. It is often given after
chemotherapy but sometimes is used alone to
treat Hodgkin lymphoma.
• A stem cell transplant destroys bone marrow
then replaces it by adding healthy stem cells
into your body. It is an option if chemotherapy
with or without radiation therapy fails.
• Lenalidomide treats Hodgkin lymphoma by
modifying your immune system and by other
means. It is a treatment option for classical
Hodgkin lymphoma that doesn’t respond well
to or returns after first-time treatment.
• Brentuximab vedotin attaches to Hodgkin
lymphoma cells then releases chemotherapy
inside. It is a treatment option for classical
Hodgkin lymphoma that did not respond
to stem cell transplant or two combination
regimens of chemotherapy.
• Everolimus stops cancer cells from receiving
signals to grow. It is a treatment used for
classical Hodgkin lymphoma if first-time
• Rituximab allows the immune system to attack
and kill cancer cells. It is used for nodular
lymphocyte-predominant Hodgkin lymphoma.
• Clinical trials give people access to new tests
and treatments that otherwise aren’t usually