NCCN Guidelines for Patients
Kidney Cancer, Version 1.2017
Making treatment decisions
Questions to ask your doctors
Questions to ask your doctors about clinical trials
1. Is there a clinical trial that I could take part in?
2. What is the purpose of the study?
3. What kinds of tests and treatments does the study involve?
4. What does the treatment do?
5. Has the treatment been used before? Has it been used for other types of cancers?
6. Will I know which treatment I receive?
7. What is likely to happen to me with, or without, this new treatment?
8. What are my other choices? What are their benefits and risks?
9. How might the study change my daily life?
10. What side effects can I expect from the study? Can the side effects be controlled?
11. Will I have to stay in the hospital? If so, how often and for how long?
12. Will the study cost me anything? Will any of the treatment be free?
13. If I’m harmed as a result of the research, what treatment might I get?
14. What type of long-term follow-up care is part of the study?