NCCN Guidelines for Patients
Lung Cancer Screening, Version 1.2017
How can you learn more?
Questions to ask your doctors
Questions about surgery
1. What type of surgery will I have?
2. What are the benefits and risks of the surgery?
3. What should I do to prepare for surgery? Should I stop taking my medications? Should I store my
blood in case I need a transfusion?
4. Are you board certified in thoracic surgery?
5. How many lung surgeries do you do per year? What other types of surgery do you do?
6. How much will the surgery cost? How can I find out how much my insurance company will cover?
7. How long does the surgery last?
8. Do you test any lymph nodes before surgery? During surgery?
9. What will my lung capacity be after surgery? Will it change my life?
10. When will I be able to return to my normal activities?
11. How soon will I know the results and who will explain them to me?
12. If I have cancer, how likely is it that I’ll be cancer-free after surgery? Will I need any other