NCCN Guidelines for Patients
Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma, Version 1.2014
Questions about treatment to ask your doctor
to ask your doctor
1. What are the available treatments for mesothelioma? Do I have to get treated?
2. What are the risks and benefits of each treatment?
3. Will my age, general health, cancer stage, or other medical conditions
limit my treatment choices?
4. Where will I be treated?
Will I have to stay in the hospital or can I go home after each treatment?
5. What can I do to prepare for treatment?
6. How many mesothelioma surgeries have you done?
How many of your patients have had complications?
7. Is mesothelioma surgery a major part of your practice?
8. How soon should I start treatment? How long does treatment take?
9. How much will the treatment cost? How can I find out how much my
insurance company will cover?
10. How likely is it that I’ll be cancer-free after treatment?
11. What symptoms should I look out for while being treated for mesothelioma?
12. When will I be able to return to my normal activities?
13. What is the chance that my cancer will come back and/or spread?
14. What should I do after I finish treatment?