NCCN Guidelines for Patients
Peripheral T-cell Lymphoma, Version 1.2016
Overview of cancer treatments Review
• Clinical trials give people access to new tests
and treatments that otherwise can’t usually
be received. These new tests and treatments
may, in time, be approved by the FDA.
• Chemotherapy stops the life cycle of cancer
cells so they can’t increase in number.
• Some steroids have anti-cancer effects and
may be used with chemotherapy.
• Lenalidomide treats peripheral T-cell
lymphoma by modifying your immune system
and by other means.
• Alemtuzumab marks cancer cells for
destruction by your immune system.
Brentuximab vedotin attaches to cells
with CD30 proteins and then releases
chemotherapy into the cells.
• Involved-site radiation therapy kills cancer
within lymph nodes and nearby by damaging
• A stem cell transplant rebuilds bone marrow
by giving a person healthy blood stem cells.
An autologous transplant uses your healthy
stem cells to rebuild marrow damaged by
high doses of chemotherapy that was given
to kill cancer cells. An allogeneic transplant
suppresses your immune system with
chemotherapy then transfuses donor stem
cells that will attack cancer cells.