NCCN Guidelines for Patients
Soft Tissue Sarcoma, Version 1.2014
Gastrointestinal stromal tumors Review
• GISTs may start in cells that trigger muscle
movement in the gut wall.
• Treatment planning is an important first step
• Small stomach GISTS that likely won’t grow
fast don’t need treatment. Instead, these
tumors may be watched for cancer growth.
• Small stomach GISTs that likely will grow fast
can be removed with surgery.
• All other GISTs may be first treated with
surgery or imatinib.
• If GISTs grow while you’re taking imatinib,
the dose may be increased or you may be
switched to sunitinib.