NCCN Guidelines for Patients
Breast Cancer - Early-Stage
(STAGES I AND II)
, Version 1.2016
Breast cancer surgery
• Lumpectomy and total mastectomy are the
two breast tumor surgeries used for stages I
and II breast cancer.
• Lumpectomy with radiation therapy is called
• Some women with a large breast tumor may
be able to have breast-conserving therapy
after receiving neoadjuvant treatment.
• Sentinel lymph node dissection removes the
lymph nodes to which lymph first travels after
leaving the breast.
• Axillary lymph node dissection removes
sentinel lymph nodes and other lymph nodes
around the armpit.
• Volume displacement is the shifting of the
remaining breast tissue so as to fill the hole
left by the lumpectomy.
• Breast reconstruction after mastectomy is
done with breast implants, flaps, or both.