National Comprehensive Cancer Network
Policy Summit: Developments in Biosimiliars and Molecular Testing - Article Coming Soon!
Patient Advocacy Summit: Value Tools for Patients in Cancer Care – Article Coming Soon!
Educational Events & Programs
NCCN Patient Advocacy Summit
Click here for summary.
Patient advocacy organizations have emerged in recent years in response to widespread structural problems in the health care system. In particular, concerns about patient safety and the patient experience have prompted the creation of organizations as well as a vigorous interest in representation among individuals working within health care institutions. Patient advocacy groups help ensure oncology patients receive appropriate and timely care, education, financial assistance when needed, and other much needed social services.
NCCN convened the NCCN Patient Advocacy Summit on September 23, 2010 in Washington, DC to bring together oncology patient advocacy groups to provide education and discussion on major developments in oncology and health policy and to facilitate these groups and other stakeholders in discussion about strategies for filling service and educational gaps while sharing best practices. This invite-only Policy Summit was attended by patient advocates, providers, employers, clinician, and industry representatives within the oncology community. These key stakeholders gathered for a day-long session to discuss the current issues that most profoundly affect patient care. The Summit featured a series of panel discussions including representatives from each sector in attendance. A summary of the meeting was prepared and posted on both NCCN.org and NCCN.com for those who could not attend the Summit.
Speakers and Panelists
- Ken Anderson, MD, Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women's Cancer Center
- Al Benson III, MD, Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University
- Nancy Davenport-Ennis, National Patient Advocate Foundation
- Ron Finch, EdD, National Business Group on Health
- Brian Garofalo, G Consulting Services
- Scott Gottlieb, MD, American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy
- R. Kate Kelley, MD, UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Mark Kris, MD, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
- Pauline Lapin, MHS,Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Stacy Lewis, Young Survival Coalition
- Joan McClure, MS, National Comprehensive Cancer Network
- Pam Moffitt, North Central Cancer Treatment Group
- Alan Rosenberg, MD, WellPoint
- Thomas P. Sellers, MPA, National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship
- Mary Lou Smith, Research Advocacy Network
- Dawn Stefanik, RN, OCN, Oncology Nursing Society
- Katherine Stultz, Celgene Corporation
- Cara Tenenbaum, Ovarian Cancer National Alliance
- Kathryn West, Amgen Oncology
Click here for summary.