Roswell Park CEO Introduced
Vision for the Future of America’s First Cancer Center Offered
BUFFALO, NY – The Board of Directors of the Roswell Park Cancer Institute Corporation (RPCIC) today introduced Donald L. Trump, MD, as the new President and Chief Executive Officer of Roswell Park Cancer Institute (RPCI).
He succeeds David C. Hohn, MD, who is credited with re-establishing the Institute as a leading cancer center during his 10-year administration. He stepped down March 31 to assume the roles of Executive Director of Health Policy and President Emeritus.
“Dr. Trump has the skills, experience, leadership and stature to advance further the growth and development of Roswell Park to national and international prominence as a leader in cancer research, treatment, prevention and education,” said David M. Zebro, Chair of the Board of Directors, RPCIC. “He will enhance the tradition of excellence established by his predecessors and will be a wise steward of the Institute, more than justifying the trust and confidence placed in him by the Board of Directors and his colleagues at Roswell Park.”
The RPCIC board recruited Dr. Trump to the Institute in 2002 with the long-term strategic plan that he would one day become the next President and CEO. Since that time, he has served as Senior Vice President for Clinical Research and Chair of the Department of Medicine. He was named Associate Director in 2006.
Dr. Trump is an internationally known pioneer in vitamin D and prostate cancer research. He and his collaborators have demonstrated the antitumor mechanisms and therapeutic effects of high dose vitamin D and demonstrated the safety of this therapy which is now being evaluated in a national, randomized phase III trial. He holds patents and has two pending for his vitamin D work. Dr. Trump has authored or co-authored more than 200 peer-review scientific papers. Nationally, Dr. Trump is a member of National Institutes of Health and Department of Defense peer review committees and an advisor to many US comprehensive cancer centers as well as international cancer research organizations.
“Dr. Trump is committed to assuring Roswell Park’s position as a leading cancer center in the 21st century,” said Richard F. Daines, MD, New York State Commissioner of Health. “Dr. Trump’s service as a medical oncologist, an innovative researcher and respected leader has given him a distinguished reputation and makes him uniquely qualified for his new role. Dr. Trump will provide imaginative and strategic leadership at Roswell Park for years to come.”
Dr. Trump began his duties as President & CEO on April 1, 2007. His vision and goals for the future include:
- Increase RPCI’s ability to provide quality cancer care to patients from a broader geographic region and provide the infrastructure to support this growth.
- Focus RPCI’s basic science research in areas with the greatest potential to quickly translate discoveries into innovative new therapies.
- Enhance the commercialization of RPCI discoveries and establish new biotech spin-off companies, based on research initiated at RPCI, that will also positively stimulate the economy in Western New York.
- Increase research and clinical partnerships and affiliations locally, statewide, nationally and internationally to broaden the RPCI level of influence throughout the world.
- Increase the number of investigator-initiated clinical studies, boosting participation in and access to clinical studies. A special effort will be made to target a more diverse population that better reflects the community of RPCI, thus enabling increased access to state-of-the-art care.
- Build nationally recognized training programs and create a dynamic and interactive alumni relations program.
- Implement an aggressive master facilities plan that supports Roswell Park’s strategic goals, encompassing growth and expansion in many areas and resulting in greater service to the region and nation.
- Increase fiscal security through grants, patient care revenues and philanthropic support by creating additional endowments and attracting new donors eager to support the best in innovative cancer research that facilitates faster cures.
- Recruit the nation’s best and brightest doctors, scientists, nurses and support staff, while positioning Roswell Park as an “Employer of Choice.” In becoming an Employer of Choice in Western New York, Roswell Park will enhance the organizational culture that supports team members who are creative, innovative, highly skilled and accountable, and who hold each other in mutual respect and express the highest standards of civility and professionalism.
- Create a robust survivorship program to meet and anticipate the long-term needs of RPCI patients and enable them to live well after cancer.
“When one thinks of cancer centers, Roswell Park should immediately come to mind. My intent is to expand the Institute’s sphere of influence by raising awareness nationally of the expertise and accomplishments of the excellent RPCI faculty and staff,” said Dr. Trump. “With a strong commitment from everyone at the Institute, we will seize every opportunity to continue the renaissance of Roswell Park as a world-class comprehensive cancer center. I am dedicated to guiding Roswell Park through the exciting and demanding times ahead and feel privileged to be selected for this prestigious and challenging leadership opportunity.”
Roswell Park Cancer Institute, founded in 1898, is the nation’s first cancer research, treatment and education center and is the only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center in Upstate New York. RPCI is a member of the prestigious National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers. Roswell Park has affiliate sites and collaborative programs in New York, Pennsylvania, as well as in New Zealand and China. For more information, visit RPCI’s website at www.roswellpark.org, call 1-877-ASK-RPCI (1-877-275-7724) or e-mail email@example.com.
About the National Comprehensive Cancer Network
The National Comprehensive Cancer Network® (NCCN®), a not-for-profit alliance of 25 of the world's leading cancer centers, is dedicated to improving the quality and effectiveness of care provided to patients with cancer. Through the leadership and expertise of clinical professionals at NCCN Member Institutions, NCCN develops resources that present valuable information to the numerous stakeholders in the health care delivery system. As the arbiter of high-quality cancer care, NCCN promotes the importance of continuous quality improvement and recognizes the significance of creating clinical practice guidelines appropriate for use by patients, clinicians, and other health care decision-makers. The primary goal of all NCCN initiatives is to improve the quality, effectiveness, and efficiency of oncology practice so patients can live better lives. For more information, visit NCCN.org.
The NCCN Member Institutions are:
- Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center
- City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women's Cancer Center
Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center
- Duke Cancer Institute
- Fox Chase Cancer Center
- Huntsman Cancer Institute at the University of Utah
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center / Seattle Cancer Care Alliance
- The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins
- Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University
- Mayo Clinic Cancer Center
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Moffitt Cancer Center
- The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center - James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute
- Roswell Park Cancer Institute
- Siteman Cancer Center at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine
- St. Jude Children's Research Hospital/The University of Tennessee Health Science Center
- Stanford Cancer Institute
- University of Alabama at Birmingham Comprehensive Cancer Center
- UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center
- UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center
- University of Colorado Cancer Center
- University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center
- Yale Cancer Center/Smilow Cancer Hospital