NCCN Appoints Gary Weyhmuller as Chief Operating Officer
Gary Weyhmuller, MBA, will join NCCN as Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer on February 3, 2014. Formerly, Mr. Weyhmuller served as Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer at Fox Chase Cancer Center.
FORT WASHINGTON, PA – The National Comprehensive Cancer Network® (NCCN®), a not-for-profit alliance of 23 of the world`s leading cancer centers dedicated to improving the quality, effectiveness, and efficiency of cancer care, has appointed Gary Weyhmuller, MBA, as Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer (COO).
"NCCN enthusiastically welcomes Mr. Weyhmuller as Chief Operating Officer," said Robert W. Carlson, MD, Chief Executive Officer, NCCN. "From his time at Fox Chase Cancer Center, Gary brings with him a wealth and breadth of experience and knowledge in administration, business, and academic cancer centers that will strongly benefit the organization."
Mr. Weyhmuller comes to NCCN with more than 35 years of experience at Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia, PA–one of the 23 NCCN Member Institutions. Most recently, Mr. Weyhmuller served as Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer at Fox Chase Cancer Center. In this role, he acted as Chief Strategist and Advisor to the President and CEO, as well as a liaison to the Center`s Board of Directors. Mr. Weyhmuller was indeed responsible for leadership and oversight of the daily operations supporting all research, clinical, and operational activities for more than 2,400 employees.
In 2012, Mr. Weyhmuller played an essential role in the successful integration of Fox Chase Cancer Center with Jeanes Hospital, an Acute Care Community Hospital and part of the Temple University Health System. Since the integration, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Temple Health, has significantly expanded their presence in outpatient and surgical-care services.
Prior to his appointment as Chief Operating Officer at Fox Chase Cancer Center, Mr. Weyhmuller held several leadership roles within the organization, including Vice President of Human Resources and Chief Administrative Officer. Mr. Weyhmuller has held 15 professional affiliations, including memberships in the Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA), the American Hospital Association (AHA), the Association of American Cancer Institutes (AACI), the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and the Society for Human Resource Management.
"I am extremely excited and enthusiastic about joining NCCN and working with Bob Carlson and the NCCN team," said Mr. Weyhmuller. "I have been associated with NCCN for many years while in my role at Fox Chase Cancer Center, and I look forward to this tremendous opportunity to be a part of the organization in a direct way and provide service to the NCCN Member Institutions."
Outside of his professional career, Mr. Weyhmuller demonstrates an active history of community service. Currently, Mr. Weyhmuller is Vice Chair of the Board of Directors for American Heritage Federal Credit Union and a member of the Board of Directors for United Cerebral Palsy of Philadelphia and Vicinity, of which he served as President from 2008 through 2011. In addition, he has been an active board member for the Corporate Lay Board of Directors – Highmark, Inc. and Methodist Home for Children, Philadelphia.
Among his accolades, Mr. Weyhmuller has been recognized for his leadership, both professionally and through his community service, including the Fox Chase Cancer Center Inspired Leadership Award; recognition for Leadership and Personal Dedication on Behalf of People with Disabilities from United Cerebral Palsy of Philadelphia and Vicinity; and the Greater Northeast Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce Crystal Vision Award.
Mr. Weyhmuller holds a Master of Business Administration degree from LaSalle University in Philadelphia and graduated from West Chester University, West Chester, PA, with a Bachelor of Science degree in education, political science, and minority studies. Mr. Weyhmuller also earned Senior Professional in Human Resources Certification from Villanova University, Villanova, PA.
Mr. Weyhmuller will officially join NCCN on February 3, 2014.
About the National Comprehensive Cancer Network
The National Comprehensive Cancer Network® (NCCN®), a not-for-profit alliance of 27 of the world's leading cancer centers, is dedicated to improving the quality and effectiveness of care provided to patients with cancer. Through the leadership and expertise of clinical professionals at NCCN Member Institutions, NCCN develops resources that present valuable information to the numerous stakeholders in the health care delivery system. As the arbiter of high-quality cancer care, NCCN promotes the importance of continuous quality improvement and recognizes the significance of creating clinical practice guidelines appropriate for use by patients, clinicians, and other health care decision-makers. The primary goal of all NCCN initiatives is to improve the quality, effectiveness, and efficiency of oncology practice so patients can live better lives. For more information, visit NCCN.org.
The NCCN Member Institutions are:
- Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center
- Case Comprehensive Cancer Center/University Hospitals Seidman Cancer Center and Cleveland Clinic Taussig Cancer Institute
- City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women's Cancer Center | Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center
- Duke Cancer Institute
- Fox Chase Cancer Center
- Huntsman Cancer Institute at the University of Utah
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center/Seattle Cancer Care Alliance
- The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins
- Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University
- Mayo Clinic Cancer Center
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Moffitt Cancer Center
- The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center - James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute
- Roswell Park Cancer Institute
- Siteman Cancer Center at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine
- St. Jude Children's Research Hospital/The University of Tennessee Health Science Center
- Stanford Cancer Institute
- University of Alabama at Birmingham Comprehensive Cancer Center
- UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center
- UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center
- University of Colorado Cancer Center
- University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
- University of Wisconsin Carbone Cancer Center
- Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center
- Yale Cancer Center/Smilow Cancer Hospital